Netdata can be used to monitor all kinds of infrastructure, from stand-alone tiny IoT devices to complex hybrid setups combining on-premise and cloud infrastructure, mixing bare-metal servers, virtual machines and containers.
There are 3 components to structure your Netdata ecosystem:
Netdata Agents To monitor the physical or virtual nodes of your infrastructure, including all applications and containers running on them.
Netdata Agents are Open-Source, licensed under GPL v3+.
Netdata Parents To create data centralization points within your infrastructure, to offload Netdata Agents functions from your production systems, to provide high-availability of your data, increased data retention and isolation of your nodes.
Netdata Parents are implemented using the Netdata Agent software. Any Netdata Agent can be an Agent for a node and a Parent for other Agents, at the same time.
It is recommended to set up multiple Netdata Parents. They will all seamlessly be integrated by Netdata Cloud into one monitoring solution.
- Netdata Cloud Our SaaS, combining all your infrastructure, all your Netdata Agents and Parents, into one uniform, distributed, infinitely scalable, monitoring database, offering advanced data slicing and dicing capabilities, custom dashboards, advanced troubleshooting tools, user management, centralized management of alerts, and more.
The Netdata Agent is a highly modular software piece, providing data collection via numerous plugins, an in-house crafted time-series database, a query engine, health monitoring and alerts, machine learning and anomaly detection, metrics exporting to third party systems.
To help our users have a complete experience of Netdata when they install it for the first time, a Netdata Agent with default configuration is a complete monitoring solution out of the box, having all these features enabled and available.
We suggest to do the following configuration changes for production deployments:
Downsize Netdata Agents running on weak IoT devices
To save valuable system resources.
Set up streaming and replication to:
- Offload Netdata Agents running on production systems and free system resources for the production applications running on them.
- Isolate production systems from the rest of the world and improve security.
- Increase data retention.
- Make your data highly available.
Use Netdata Cloud to access the dashboards
For increased security, user management and access to our latest tools for advanced dashboarding and troubleshooting.
Was this page helpful?
Need more help?
- Join our community
- Submit a bug or feature request for the FOSS agent
- Submit a bug or feature request for the Netdata cloud